Barking and Dagenham Local Authority supports children with varying levels of special needs.

Depending on those needs, some children may be placed in residential care; this is usually a part of the recommendation from their Education Health Care (EHC) plan. This placement will have been approved by the High Needs panel as the best accommodation for the child. The plan might also have an education provision. The virtual school works with the allocated residential placement staff to monitor and support the educational attainment of the children

If your child has a high level of need, they will require a more specialist assessment, known as a statutory assessment, to assess whether they need more specialist provision. This will come through a personalised EHC.

To request an EHC assessment, contact

For more information on SEND support offered by the borough, click on the links below

Special educational needs and disability provision

SEND local offer